Advance Voting for the Presidential Preference Primary now through March 8, 2024. More Information

Clayton County, Georgia Home
Where the World Lands and Opportunities Take Off slogan and airplane

Advance Voting for the Presidential Preference Primary now through March 8, 2024. More Information

Clayton County, Georgia Home

Pam Ferguson

Annex Building 3
121 South McDonough Street
Jonesboro, GA 30236

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
excluding Holidays

Vaccinate Clayton Website

Temporary Guardianship


Regarding Temporary Guardianship of Minor

Completed petitions are accepted Monday through Friday BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.

Please click here to schedule your appointment:

Temporary Guardianship Appointment Calendar

If you have a child in your physical custody and you are not such child’s parent, you are without authority to enroll the child in school, obtain medical treatment for the child and otherwise control the child without first becoming the legally qualified Temporary Guardian through the Probate Court of your county of residence. (Alternately, you may contact the Juvenile Court of Clayton County about becoming the legal CUSTODIAN of the child.)

If you wish to become Temporary Guardian, you must comply with every legal requirement, including notice to both parents of the child. The following must be provided at the time of filing:

  1. If either parent is deceased, you must furnish a certified death certificate or other proof of death.
  2. If the parents are divorced, you must furnish a certified copy of the final divorce decree and the custody arrangement between the parents.
  3. Probate Court will not appoint a guardian of a minor without the consent of at least one parent. If at least one parent does not provide a consent form, you need to proceed to Juvenile Court. If there whereabouts of both parents are unknown, you need to proceed to Juvenile Court.
  4. You must furnish a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate. Copies will not be accepted.
  5. You must furnish a copy of your photo ID, i.e. your driver’s license or State issued identification card. If your photo ID does not show that you are a resident of Clayton County, proof of residency must also be provided. Sufficient documentation includes a recent copy of a utility bill or recent vehicle registration.
  6. Court costs must be paid at the time you file a petition. These costs are set by the Georgia Legislature, not the Court. The clerk will inform you of costs, which vary, depending on the method of service to parents.

If you have any questions about the proceedings, please contact an attorney. Clerks of the Court can furnish forms or they may be obtained from the website; however, clerks do not have the authority to give any legal advice.


Costs Required to File Petition for Temporary Guardianship

All fees for temporary guardian MUST be paid in cash, debit, credit cards or money orders! Checks are not accepted unless provided by an agency.  A small surcharge will apply for debit and credit card payments.

Basic Costs:

$75.00 Filing Petition
$15.00 Indigent Defense Surcharge
$8.00 Alternate Dispute Resolution
$5.00 Law Library

Recording: $2 per page for each page recorded in the record

Copies: $1 per page for any service page needed for service

(You may choose to make your own service copies.)

Service Costs to the person needing to be served:

$50.00 Sheriff Service
1st class mail postage Regular Mail
$7.50 Certified Mail
$60.00 Publication

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.


Free Adobe Viewer
Free Windows Media Player
Free Microsoft Word for the Web
Free Microsoft Excel for the Web
Free Microsoft Powerpoint for the Web