Annex Building 3
121 South McDonough Street
Jonesboro, GA 30236
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
To obtain a Marriage License, please complete the online application prior to appearing in person by clicking the following link: Online Marriage Application. Make note of your application confirmation number. Upon completion of the online application, both parties must appear in person to complete the process.
With the recent health crisis, we are following certain enhanced protocols in order to protect the health of the citizens we service as well as the employees of Clayton County Probate Court.
You must ALSO bring the required documents with you when you appear for your appointment.
- Completed Marriage License Information Form and the Costs & Request for Copies form
- The signed Surname Form
- A copy of the government issued photo identification card/document for each of the individuals getting married.
- A Certified Divorce Decree, signed by a Judge, if either party has been married before. A divorce decree is needed for all previous marriages.
- A Certified Death Certificate for the previous spouse if you are a widow or widower.
PLEASE NOTE: YOU MUST WEAR A MASK IN ORDER TO ENTER THE BUILDING.
Please bring exact change and your own pen to sign the marriage application.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. These measures are in place to protect all parties involved. ”
Instructions for Applying for a Marriage License
In Clayton County Probate Court
Pam Ferguson, Judge
Applications for Marriage Licenses are accepted Monday through Friday from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm. Please take into consideration that it normally takes 20-30 minutes to complete the marriage license application; therefore, please arrive at the Court with enough time to accomplish this process.
Probate Court does NOT perform marriage ceremonies.
- Both applicants must be eighteen (18) years of age or older, or emancipated.
- Both applicants must appear in person and present a valid driver’s license, Government issued ID card or passport for identification. (If the applicant’s ID has expired, they may also present a certified, original birth certificate in addition to their expired photo ID. All birth certificates must be translated.)
- If either Applicant has been divorced or a spouse has passed, the applicant(s) must present a certified copy of the Final Divorce Order or Death Certificate at the time of application. Plain copies will NOT be accepted. Contact the court where the divorce was finalized to request a certified copy.
- Translators are not provided by the Court. The Applicants are responsible for providing their own translators when needed and the translator must be 18 years of age or older. This individual must possess a valid photo ID. The translator will be required to sign an affidavit.
- If either Applicant is a resident of the State of Georgia, the Marriage License may be issued in any county in the State and the couple may be married in any county of the State. If neither Applicant is a resident of the State of Georgia, the couple must be married in Clayton County only.The Cost to apply for a Marriage License is as follows:
- With Certification of Premarital Counseling: $26.00*
- Without Certification of Premarital Counseling: $66.00**
Cash, Debit or Credit Only. No Checks Accepted.
Surcharges apply for debit and credit card transactions.
In order to qualify for the reduced fee, the couple must provide the Court a signed and dated certificate of completion of a qualifying premarital education program. The Court has an acceptable Certificate which you may take to the premarital education provider.
**According to O.C.G.A. § 19-3-30.1 (a) The premarital education provided for under this Code section shall include at least six hours of instruction involving marital issues, which may include but not be limited to (1) A professional counselor, social worker, or marriage and family therapist who is licensed pursuant to Chapter 10 A of Title 43: (2) A psychiatrist who is licensed as a physician pursuant to Chapter 34 of Title 43; or (4) An active member of the clergy when in the course of his or her service as clergy or his or her designee, including retired clergy, provided that a designee is trained and skilled in premarital education; provided, further that any active or retired member of the clergy or his or her designee performing the premarital education for a party who is 17 years of age shall also be a professional counselor, social worker, or marriage and family therapist who is licensed pursuant to Chapter 10A of Title 43. (b) Each premarital education provider provided for in paragraphs (1) through (4) of subsection (a) of this Code section shall furnish each participant who completes the premarital education under his or her performance a certificate of completion. (c) If both Persons applying for a marriage license, are 18 years of age or older and certify on the application for a marriage license that they have successfully completed a qualifying premarital education program shall not be charged a fee for a marriage license.
** Notice of Change in Fees for Marriage Licenses:
|Without Certification of
|With Certification of
|Application Fee||$ 40.00||No Fee|
|Vital Records Recording Fee
|Children’s Trust Fund Fee
|**Totals do NOT include the following items which are additional fees:|
|Certified Copy of Application||$10.00 ea||$10.00 ea|
|Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate (suitable for framing)||$10.00 ea||$10.00 ea|
|Additional Certified Copy of Marriage License||$10.00 ea||$10.00 ea|
|Mailing and Processing Fee||$2.00||$2.00|
Instructions for Requesting a Certified Copy of a Marriage License. Cost: $10.00
A certified copy of a marriage license may be obtained in person or via mail. The following should be submitted to the Clayton County Probate Court if requesting via mail:
- A money order in the amount of $10.00 (No checks or cash accepted).
- Full name of both parties BEFORE marriage.
- Date of marriage or approximate year.
- Self-addressed stamped envelope.
When submitting your request, please specify if you are requesting a certified copy of the Marriage License or the Marriage Certificate for framing.*
If requesting in person, the following forms of payment are accepted: cash, debit or credit are accepted. No Checks Accepted. (A small surcharge will apply if paying by debit or credit card.)
*Please note the cost for a certified copy of the Marriage License and the Marriage Certificate for framing are both $10.00, however, only the Marriage License can be provided as a same day service. If you require a copy of the Marriage Certificate for framing, please note that you may request to pick it up when ready or it will be mailed to you at the address you provide the clerk.