Annex Building 3
121 South McDonough Street
Jonesboro, GA 30236
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Applications for Weapons Carry Licenses are accepted Monday through Friday from 8:00am – 3:30pm. Probate Court is located at 121 South McDonough Street, Annex Building 3, Jonesboro, Ga 30236. The entrance is on the West side of the building. We are located on the first floor.
Please take into consideration that the initial application process may take 10 to 20 minutes to begin; therefore, arrive no later than 3:00pm to ensure ample time to complete the entire application process.
Weapons Carry License Application Fees
Fees effective October 1, 2016
|WCL Applications (New Customers)||$78.25|
|WCL Applications (Renewals)||$30.00|
|WCL Applications (RLE-New Customers)||$15.50|
|WCL Applications (RLE-Renewals)||$7.00|
|Weapons Carry License Replacement||$6.00|
|Motion to Reconsider Hearings (RE: WCL APPL DENIALS)||$61.00|
Cash, Debit and Credit cards are accepted. There is a small surcharge for card payments.
Important Information Regarding Application Requirements
- Application must provide a valid copy of their driver's license or State issued identification card. Applicant’s identification must show that they are a resident of Clayton County. P.O. Box addresses will not be accepted. Should the applicant’s address display a county other than Clayton, the applicant must provide proof that they are a resident of Clayton County.
- Sufficient documentation to show proof of residency: A copy of a current utility bill or current vehicle registration.
- If the applicant was NOT born in the United States they must provide a valid US passport or their Naturalization certificate.
- If the applicant was born abroad and is a US citizen they will need to provide their US born abroad birth certificate.
- If the applicant has just moved to Georgia, an out of state driver’s license will not be accepted. The applicant must obtain a valid Georgia driver’s license or State issued identification card before applying for their Weapons Carry License. Temporary paper licenses will be accepted.
What To Do If Your Weapons Carry License Was Lost Or Stolen
- You must provide valid photo ID and a copy of the police report specifically stating that the license was lost or stolen before obtaining a replacement license.
- If your Weapons Carry License is issued by the Court and was lost in the mail, a police report must still be provided.
- Please be aware that due to USPS processing times it can take up to six weeks for your permit to be received as returned to the Probate Court. Please take this into consideration before applying for a replacement.
- Should your Weapons Carry License be returned to the Probate Court, a clerk will attempt to contact you in regards to remailing or holding the Weapons Carry License for pick up.
Retired Law Enforcement Offers (RLE)
Applicant must provide an original letter on agency letterhead stating the dates of service and verification of employment to qualify for the reduced fee. Copies will not be accepted. This must be provided for new applications as well as renewals. A Probate Court Clerk will provide an example letter for reference, if needed.
New vs Renewal?
- If your most recent Weapons Carry License has been expired for more than 30 days, you must reapply for a new license.
- You may renew your current Weapons Carry License as early as six months prior to the expiration date and no later than 30 days after the expiration date.
Please note: Clayton County Probate Court is NOT a GAPS (Georgia Applicant Processing Service) location. Clayton County Probate Court can only process fingerprint background requests for Clayton County residents applying for their Georgia Weapons Carry License.