Annex Building 3
121 South McDonough Street
Jonesboro, GA 30236
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
NEW WEAPONS CARRY PERMIT APPLICATION
If you are applying for a new permit, you will need to set an appointment.
Please call 770-477-3299 to set an appointment.
Please complete the information online and set an appointment to complete the process. You are still required to come to Probate Court to complete the process. Call 770-477-3299 for an appointment.
New Weapons Carry Applications require a fingerprinted background search.
Details about where to obtain a criminal background check will be provided when you come for your appointment. Fingerprinting will not take place at the Clayton County Probate Court.
INFORMATION ABOUT RENEWALS
It may not be necessary to renew your permit at this time. Due to COVID 19 emergency orders, the expiration of Weapons Carry Permits has been tolled or extended.
However you may renew by printing, completing and returning the documents by mail with the proper payment.
Please print and complete all the documents and mail them in with the appropriate fee.
RENEWAL PROCESS BY MAIL
YOU MUST HAVE A CURRENT VALID PERMIT TO BE ELIGIBLE.
REPLACEMENT PROCESS BY MAIL
If you have a valid permit in Clayton County issued by Clayton County and it was lost, stolen or requires an amendment, you may obtain a replacement by mail.
Applications for Weapons Carry Licenses are accepted Monday through Friday from 8:00am – 3:30pm. Probate Court is located at 121 South McDonough Street, Annex Building 3, Jonesboro, Ga 30236. The entrance is on the West side of the building. We are located on the first floor.
Please take into consideration that the initial application process may take 10 to 20 minutes to begin; therefore, arrive no later than 3:00pm to ensure ample time to complete the entire application process.
Weapons Carry License Application Fees
Fees effective January 1, 2019
|WCL Applications (New Customers)||$79.25|
|WCL Applications (Renewals)||$30.00|
|WCL Applications (RLE-New Customers)||$15.50|
|WCL Applications (RLE-Renewals)||$7.00|
|Weapons Carry License Replacement||$6.00|
|Motion to Reconsider Hearings (RE: WCL APPL DENIALS)||$57.00|
Cash, Debit and Credit cards are accepted. There is a small surcharge for card payments.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO BRING A SELF ADDRESSED STAMPED ENVELOPE (Both for Renewals and New Weapons Carry Licenses.)
Important Information Regarding Application Requirements
- Applicant must provide a valid copy of their driver's license or State issued identification card. Applicant’s identification must show that they are a resident of Clayton County. P.O. Box addresses will not be accepted. Should the applicant’s address display a county other than Clayton, the applicant must provide proof that they are a resident of Clayton County.
- Sufficient documentation to show proof of residency: A copy of a current utility bill or current vehicle registration.
- If the applicant was NOT born in the United States they must provide a valid US passport or their Naturalization certificate.
- If the applicant was born abroad and is a US citizen they will need to provide their US born abroad birth certificate.
- If the applicant has just moved to Georgia, an out of state driver’s license will not be accepted. The applicant must obtain a valid Georgia driver’s license or State issued identification card before applying for their Weapons Carry License. Temporary paper licenses will be accepted.
What To Do If Your Weapons Carry License Was Lost Or Stolen
- You must provide valid photo ID and a copy of the police report specifically stating that the license was lost or stolen before obtaining a replacement license.
- If your Weapons Carry License is issued by the Court and was lost in the mail, a detailed police report must still be provided.
- Please be aware that due to USPS processing times it can take up to six weeks for your permit to be received as returned to the Probate Court. Please take this into consideration before applying for a replacement.
- Should your Weapons Carry License be returned to the Probate Court, a clerk will attempt to contact you in regards to remailing or holding the Weapons Carry License for pick up.
Retired Law Enforcement Offers (RLE)
Applicant must provide an original letter on agency letterhead stating the dates of service and verification of employment to qualify for the reduced fee. Copies will not be accepted. This must be provided for new applications as well as renewals. A Probate Court Clerk will provide an example letter for reference, if needed.
New vs Renewal?
- If your most recent Weapons Carry License has been expired for more than 30 days, you must reapply for a new license.
- You may renew your current Weapons Carry License as early as 90 DAYS prior to the expiration date and no later than 30 days after the expiration date.
- You must present your current Weapons Carry License when you are renewing.
Please note: Clayton County Probate Court is NOT a GAPS (Georgia Applicant Processing Service) location. Clayton County Probate Court can only process fingerprint background requests for Clayton County residents applying for their Georgia Weapons Carry License.