Terry L. Baskin,
Danielle H. Smith,
Chief Deputy Tax Commissioner
Clayton County Administration
Annex 3, 2nd Floor
121 South McDonough St.
Jonesboro, GA 30236
Property Tax: (770) 477-3311
Tag Office: (770) 477-3331
For your convenience, Georgia DRIVES has launched various e-service options for your Motor Vehicle needs:
Memo to the Public:
If a registered vehicle is inoperable, or an owner chooses to cancel insurance for any reason, the owner must cancel the registration FIRST before canceling his/her insurance to avoid penalties from the State Department of Motor Vehicles. Voluntary Registration Cancellation forms (form MV-18J Affidavit)can be located at the following link: https://dor.georgia.gov/documents/form-mv-18j-application-voluntary-registration-cancellation
IF YOU CHANGE ADDRESSES: IN ORDER TO CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS AT THE CLAYTON COUNTY MVD, YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE MUST REFLECT YOUR CURRENT ADDRESS. PER GEORGIA STATE LAW, IF YOU CHANGE ADDRESSES, YOUR LICENSE MUST BE UPDATED WITHIN 60 DAYS OF MOVING (Georgia Code § 40-5-33).
New!!! Renew Your Tag at Kroger!
The Clayton County Tag Office now has a self-service kiosk inside Kroger in Lovejoy located at 10375 Tara Blvd, Jonesboro, GA. This location's hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m. seven days a week. Kiosk is located near the registers at the front of the store. For additional kiosk locations throughout the state of Georgia to renew your tag, please click the link below.
The Main Tag Office and Satellite Tag Office normal hours of business are 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. These offices may close prior to 4:30 p.m., as needed, due to the volume of customers on any given day. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.
Follow us on Facebook for latest Tag Office Updates and Information
Tag Office Locations
Main Tag Office - 121 South McDonough Street Jonesboro, GA 30236
Satellite Tag Office - 1510 Southlake Pkwy Morrow, GA 30260 (Next to Burlington Coat Factory)
For Both Offices
Monday through Friday - 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
These offices may close prior to 4:30 p.m., as needed, due to the volume of customers on any given day. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.
**PLEASE BE ADVISED**
- Failure to receive renewal registration DOES NOT relieve obligation to purchase tags by your respective deadline.
- This office is NOT responsible for renewal notices, tags, or decals lost in the mail.
- Tags expire on vehicle owner's birthday - Penalties subsequently apply.
- Make Checks payable to "Clayton County Tax Commissioner".
- Personal checks must be imprinted with owner's name and current Clayton County Address. Name and address on check and registration must be the same.
- No out of state banks or credit union checks will be accepted.
- Owner of vehicle must present a valid GA Driver's License or GA State Issued ID to register and/or renew vehicle registration.
- Ad Valorem Taxes are due each year on all vehicles, including non-operating vehicles, even if a tag or renewal decal is not being applied for.
- If a vehicle is inoperable or an owner chooses to cancel insurance for any reason, the owner must also cancel the registration to avoid penalties from the State Department of Motor Vehicles. Voluntary registration cancellation forms can be located at the following link: https://dor.georgia.gov/documents/form-mv-18j-application-voluntary-registration-cancellation
- Taxes cannot be computed by phone on Conversion Vans, Motor Homes, Trailers, Trucks or Tractors. Please bring your bill of sale to one of our locations to compute taxes.
- "For the 2018 test season, all 1994 – 2015 model year gasoline-powered cars and light duty vehicles (8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight rating or less) registered in Clayton County require an emission inspection. The inspection station will give you a copy of your inspection report (please bring in or mail with your renewal application)."
- A vehicle that is driven less than 5,000 miles per year, is 10 years old or older and is owned by a person 65 years of age or older, may qualify for exemption. The Tag Office will issue a waiver. You must provide the current odometer reading. A waiver must be done every year.
- For more information regarding emission testing, emission test locations, service center locations and waivers, please visit Georgia's Clean Air Force Website (GCAF) at www.cleanairforce.com.
- If the gross vehicle weight on a truck is 55,000 pounds or more, owner must submit proof that Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax has been paid. Form 2290 with schedule 1 attached must be stamped "Received" by IRS. The complete ID number of vehicle must be shown.
All applications must be received by appropriate deadline or additional charges will apply as noted below on each application.
- 10% of tax amount or $5.00 minimum
- $5.00 Tag Penalty
You have 30 days from date of purchase in which to register your vehicle.
If registration is in more than one name, the first person listed is the birthday information we need. On leased vehicles, you now MUST register according to lessee's birthday.