Veteran of the Month, November 2020
Master Sergeant Sparkle K. Adams
Master Sergeant Sparkle K. Adams dedicated 25 years of honorable and distinguished service to the United States Air Force and Air Force Reserves retiring in 2006.
Born in Chicago, IL, she entered the U.S. Air Force under the Delayed Enlistment Program in September 1974 and went to basic training in February 1975 as an Air Traffic Controller. After finishing basic training at Lackland AFB, TX she entered into the Air Force Reserves in March 1981 as an Air Cargo Specialist in the 79th and 80th Aerial Port Squadron at Dobbins AFB, GA. Retired Master Sergeant Adams, worked as a Hazardous Cargo Specialist for 12 years, supervising a flight of 6 personnel for two years. Master Sergeant Adams served as a Career Focus Manager teaching classes and giving individual lesson on job search skills, skills assessment, resume writing, and interviewing. She continue in this capacity for 7 years; while serving on numerous boards and assuming additional duties as Unit Career Advisor in 94th MSSQ for 3 years. During her military career, Master Sergeant Adams served as an Air Traffic Controller on active duty, directing the movement of aircraft in the radar unit.
In November 2005, Sparkle K. Adams was the first African American to be elected to the city council in the City of Forest Park, GA. In 2008, Adams was appointed as Mayor Pro-Tem of Forest Park by unanimous vote. She was re-elected to the city council and as Mayor Pro-Tem in 2009 and she briefly served as interim Mayor 2012 through 2013.
MAJOR MILITARY AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
- 2000 – Meritorious Service
- 1998 – Meritorious Service
- 1996 – Achievement Medal
- 1995 – NCO of the Year
- 1994 – NCO of the Quarter
- 1993 – Meritorious Service
- Walking In Authority Teen Council- Executive Director
- Atlanta Metro Chapter National Association Black Military Women – President
- Atlanta Chapter Tuskegee Airmen Inc. – Member
- Ben Hill United Methodist Church Veteran’s Ministry- Co-Chair
- Kiwanis Club of Forest Park- Member and former President
- Clayton County Chamber of Commerce – Community Partner
- Clayton County Board of Health’s Community Advisory Board
- Clayton County Superintendent of School’s Community Advisory Board
CIVILIAN AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS:
- Proclamation received from the City of Forest Park as an “Outstanding Citizen”-August 2019.
- Honorably received Senate Resolution 163, commendation for outstanding service to the Air Force and Air Force Reserves, February 2019.
- Received House Resolution 285, “Outstanding Service” award for her American Armed Service from State Representative Scott in February 2019.
- Received the “Pioneer Award” at the Women of Worth Awards Luncheon presented by the City of Forest Park Mayor Angelyne Butler, March 2019.
- Certificate from the Secretary of State of Georgia for being an “Outstanding Georgia Citizen” – September 2016.
- Forest Park Minister’s Association – “Living Legends” award by for her contributions to the community – 2016.
- Kiwanis Club of Forest Park – Plaque for Outstanding President – 2015
- “Servant Leadership Award” from the Georgia Women’s Legislative Caucus and received Resolution 1676 from the Georgia State Legislation for her public service – March 2014.
- Walk of Heroes Veterans War Memorial-Plaque for service on the Board of Directors- 2014.
- State of Georgia – Certificate of Honor for Military Service during the Vietnam War Era – 2015.
- Performance Cash Award (U. S. Postal Inspection Service) 2003.
- Certificate of Appreciation Cash Award (U. S. Postal Inspection Service) 2002.
- Certificate of Appreciation Cash Award (U. S. Postal Inspection Service) 2000.