Veteran of the Month, April 2019
The Clayton County April Veteran of the Month is Arthur Hughes. Mr. Hughes served in Desert Storm and Operation Desert Shield in the Georgia Army National Guard.
Mr. Hughes is a servant in the truest form and is “a-behind-the scenes” catalyst for the creation of several veteran initiatives and programs, including Armed Forces Senior Veterans and recognition of Gold Star Father’s Day at the Georgia State Capitol.
One of Mr. Hughes’ dreams was for the State of Georgia to recognize Gold Star Father’s Day, and he presented the idea to State Representative Rhonda Burnough. As a result of his diligence, Mr. Hughes’ dream was realized on November 9, 2017 when the first ceremony honoring Gold Star Father’s Day was held at the Georgia State Capitol.
Mr. Hughes is also an active member of New Macedonia Baptist Church and serves on the Church Finance and Bereavement Committees, Deacon Board and Veteran Recognition Program.
He is a member of the Tuskegee Airmen Atlanta Chapter, Veterans Helping Veterans and Armed Forces Senior Veterans.
Other notable accomplishments include:
- Took the initiative to meet with local private businesses and companies to have tattered American flags removed and replaced
- Volunteered to remove refuse from a poorly kept cemetery located in Atlanta
- Donates, distributes and collects donations to Toys for Tots and Feed the Hungry
- Places flags on the graves of veterans during Flag Day, Memorial Day and Veterans Day
- Canceled his medical appointment to take a Vietnam War veteran (whom he had never met) to the veteran’s mother’s funeral
- Raises and lowers the American flag on the flagpole in the City of Riverdale
- Volunteers in the Riverdale Christmas Parade, Riverdale Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony, Riverdale Black History Month programs, “Get Out
The Vote” rallies, Riverdale Toy Drive and the Riverdale Vet Week Initiative