Rebecca Hardeman, PHR, SHRM-CP
1262 Government Circle
Jonesboro, GA 30236
Office: (770) 473-3945
Fax: (770) 473-5438
What is Pizza Farm?
Pizza Farm is an educational field trip designed to expose urban youth to good nutrition, healthy lifestyles, and Georgia’s agriculture. The Pizza Farm consists of various stations that each represent the various parts of a pizza and showcase pizza’s connection to Georgia agriculture and our health. Exposing urban youth to Georgia agriculture and emphasizing the importance of healthy living can lead to a reduction in childhood obesity and an increase in knowledge.
The field trip lasts approximately two (2) hours. This is the estimated time it will take for classes to visit each station and experience our interactive areas. Each station is led by Extension professionals who maintain expertise in the given area.
Groups will move through the following stations:
- We Like to Move It, Move It!: Physical activity challenges for youth.
- We ‘Knead’ to Know: Learning about differences in wheat through dough observation.
- The Time is ‘Ripe’: Healthy preparation and consumption of fruits and vegetables.
- Milk & Cookies: Understanding the differences in kinds of milk and cheeses.
- Nice to ‘Meat’ You: Learning about healthy alternatives to meat.
In addition, teachers’ students will leave the trip with ideas and activities to use as post-work. Students will also walk away with a packet of games, literature, and other goodies.