Clerk of Court Jacquline D. Wills

Clerk of Court:
Jacquline D. Wills

Harold R. Banke Justice Center
9151 Tara Boulevard
Room 1CL25
Jonesboro, GA 30236

Phone: (770) 477-3395

Do you file plats? If so, changes are coming to the filing process in the state of Georgia. Effective January 1, 2017, all plats filed in Georgia must be filed electronically. Plats will no longer be accepted for filing in paper format.

The move to require the eFiling of plats was mandated with the passage of HB 1004 (§ 15-6-67) during the 2016 Georgia General Assembly legislative session.

In order to eFile plat documents in Georgia, please go to and register.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the eFile process, please contact the Georgia Superior Court Clerks’ Cooperative Authority customer support at 1-800-304-5174 or

Frequently Asked Questions

Is the last assignment information required when filing a cancellation or assignment?


Are original documents required for filing?


Are original documents returned?


My Spouse and I are changing our deed to show us as Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship. Do we still need to fill out a transfer tax form?

Yes. A transfer tax form is required any time the ownership of the property is changed.

I'm filing a Quit Claim Deed in lieu of a cancellation. Do I need to submit a transfer tax form?

No, as long as the release information is contained within the body of the deed.

What are transfer taxes?

Transfer taxes are paid when money exchanges hands during the sale of a piece of property. The taxes are paid at the rate of $1.00 per $1,000.00.For example, if a house is purchased for $150,000.00, the transfer taxes due on that property are $150.00. There is a transfer tax form (Form PT-61) that must be completed with each transaction. These forms must be filled out and submitted online. This can be done by visiting through a personal computer or through a computer located in the Superior Court Clerk's office. For additional information regarding transfer taxes, please visit


What are intangible taxes?

Intangible taxes are paid when a person or company borrows money and takes out a loan that matures in more than three years. It is paid at the rate of $3.00 per $1,000.00 borrowed not considering any refinancing. For example, if $150,000 is borrowed, the intangible taxes would be $450.00. Some lending institutions (i.e. credit unions, governments agencies) are exempt from intangible taxes. A separate check made payable to the clerk of superior court should be sent to pay for intangible taxes.

Where can I obtain the forms needed for real estate recordings?

Most office supply stores carry some legal forms. The law books in the Clayton County Law Library outline different legal forms and may be of some help. The Law Library is located on the 3rd floor of the Harold R. Banke Justice Center. Click here for directions.

What is the turn-around time on recording documents?

The processing time varies due to the amount of documents received. Generally, our processing time is 2 to 3 weeks; however, there are times when the processing takes longer.

I want to know who owns a piece of property. How can I find out that information?

Our record room is open to the public from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. We have computers accessible to the public which enable you to look up an address to see who was last listed as the owner. This information is provided by the Clayton County Tax Assessor's Office.

I need to have a title search done to see if there are any liens against my property. Where do I start?

A title search is an involved process which the Clerk's office is not qualified to perform. There are title searchers listed in the Yellow Pages and you might wish to hire someone who is trained to do the search for you. An attorney (especially one specialized in Real Estate Law) may also be able to assist you.