District Attorney: Tracy Graham Lawson
Harold R. Banke Justice Center
9151 Tara Boulevard
Jonesboro, GA 30236
Phone: (770) 477-3450
Fax: (770) 477-4577
Domestic Violence – Facts
- In the United States, a woman is battered every 9 seconds. There are over 3 million incidents of domestic violence every year.
- In the United States, domestic violence causes more injury to women between the ages of 15 and 44 than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
- Domestic violence can be fatal. In this country, one third of homicides are related to domestic violence. Every year over 4000 victims of domestic violence are killed. Approximately 40% of female homicides are caused by their husband or boyfriend.
- Batterers can be anyone. Domestic violence is not related to age, profession, wealth, race, religion or education level.
- Domestic violence is not caused by the victim or by stress, alcohol, or drugs. Studies have determined that there is no set of personality traits that describe victims of domestic violence. It is the batterer who is responsible for the abuse, not the victim.
- Domestic violence can leave victims feeling trapped and unable to help themselves. Victims of domestic violence often feel isolated, powerless, fearful, guilty, and dependent financially and/or physically.